Monday, March 10, 2008

how to be a nice person

The concept is rather simple. At least, it seems so for me. For others, I'm not so sure. Happiness comes easy to me, as does the ability to be kind to my fellow man. The theme of this blog seems to be, for the most part, about positivity, things that make me happy. But I just couldn't resist the urge to post about something that has bothered me my entire adult life: angry, intolerant people who insist upon subjecting the rest of us to the unhappiness of their lives. I understand that, for the most part, we all experience unhappiness. But for some, it's a whole lot easier to make an enemy than a friend. This concept is alien and strange to me, but for them, snapping or taken offense to every penetrating word is far more effortless than smiling and having something nice to say.

My point is this: If you want to get anywhere in life or, more important, gain respect from your peers, start being NICE. It's okay to let your guard down for a minute and allow the snarl come out of your voice momentarily to those around you. Especially if you are in close proximity to others on a day-to-day basis. If it's impossible for you to be nice, do something else with your life. Like work in a toll booth.

The whole world is not out to get you. I promise. And if you look around, you shouldn't have to venture far to notice that the majority of the people in this world who have accomplished respect, love, success, and happiness are those who so naturally project those feelings upon others. So, get over yourself. And learn to make some friends.

No comments: