Thursday, April 30, 2009
Friday, April 17, 2009
The Happy Bullets - "Herbert Had a Dream" from geoff johnston on Vimeo.
I was thrilled when I discovered this video online thanks to Geoff Johnston over at Quick. I adore this living-room-impromptu sit-in of Dallas band The Happy Bullets, not only because I know these fine folks (some more than others) but because they are simply marvelous. They also quite remind me of those great northwesterners, The Decemberists, but that's neither here nor there, now is it? I'm so glad to hear some new Bullets music. Enjoy.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Top 10 Things I Love About Prep School Teaching
10. The people. There are so many incredible teachers at my school. Smart. Educated. Caring. Dedicated. I have learned so much from them.
9. Watching teenagers do their teenager thing. Honestly, I laugh every day. Don't you remember caring so much about so many silly things at age 15?
8. Christmas Break and Spring Break. Need I say more?
7. Summer Break. Helllll-0.
6. The opportunity to rediscover the splendid novels of my youth and college years. I forgot how wonderful Great Expectations really is. Way to go, Dickens.
5. Seeing looks of recognition and amazement on my students faces when I teach them something new. There's nothing like it.
4. Watching my students grow smarter by the day and getting to say, "I helped them do that."
3. That familiar sigh of relief as the school year winds down, a feeling I haven't experienced since I was a student. I can only imagine that the fall will feel like a fresh, new beginning.
2. Helping young people understand the splendor as well as the misgivings of life and giving them advice and support.
1. Being able to wake up each day and know that today will be completely different than yesterday.