Wednesday, November 4, 2009

a note on mommyhood


Nothing prepares you for being a parent. No book, no article, no Discovery Channel documentary show. (Although they are all quite helpful.) Nope. You can't understand what it's like to be a parent until you are one. And it's wonderful. And amazing. And empowering. And frustrating. And every emotion you could ever hope and hope not to experience.

One of the most incredible films I've seen in recent memory is Sam Mendes' Away We Go, a little indie flick with a huge message. The first time I saw it, I misinterpreted the message. I thought it was about a couple trying to find a new city to live in, one that would be perfect for their not-yet-born baby. But I saw again after we had Harper, and I get it now. It's about the many ways you can be a parent. The good ways, the bad ways, the ridiculous ways of being a mommy or daddy. I'd recommend it for anyone who is planning to have or already has children. You can thank me later.

2 comments:

the cook et le chef said...

oh my gosh we ADORED this movie!! sigh... i miss having a coworker with such excellent taste.

Unknown said...

i love this cover design so much!!