Tuesday, April 5, 2011

the joys of toddlerdom


No, this is not a post to rant about temper tantrums or to boast about Harper's growing vocabulary (although she now loves to say, "That's the ball!" in the most endearing Texan drawl I've ever heard). Rather, I'd like to expound upon my belief that when you are a stay-at-home mom or a work-from-home mom, etc., there is a semi-immense pressure to expose your child to all those worldly experiences (a.k.a., keep her entertained and exhausted so she takes an adequate afternoon nap).

At 18 months, my beautiful daughter is no longer content to play pat-a-cake in the den with mommy. Now we must have outings each day to various places that hopefully have either a playground, large expanses of grass, or something to climb on. In the last two weeks alone, we have attended Baby Bounce classes, purchased a yearly membership to the Arboretum, made new friends and learned how to go down the slide at the local library playground, gazed at gorillas at the Dallas Zoo, and made an appointment to check out Kidzone. I'm not kidding.

I don't know about Harper, but I'm exhausted.

Photo by Uyen Beiswanger

No comments: