Thursday, February 11, 2010

fixing a hole


When I was about 2, I discovered the Beatles. No, seriously. I must have been a wee tot because my first memory is of my mother singing me a Beatles lullaby. To this day I can't hear "All My Loving" without getting sleepy and sentimental. I've been a Beatles fan ever since, and readers of this blog can attest to this fact. I listened to them obsessively throughout my entire adolescence, and I visited almost every major Beatles site of significance in England. I'm telling you all of this so you will understand my excitement over the newly remastered Beatles records. I was skeptical at first--that is, until I listened to the remastered version of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I heard things in the instrumentation that I didn't know was there; it was kind of like hearing it for the first time. And for a Beatles fan like me, that's a big deal. I especially found a new love and fondness for "Fixing a Hole," a song I didn't pay much attention to before. Now I can't stop singing it... "Fixing a hole, where the rain gets in..."

No comments: