Sunday, August 8, 2010

mommyhood and happiness


So yesterday I found myself at a tot's birthday party in the company of several SAH moms. It's strange, but I think you become part of an exclusive, mommyhood sorority when you have kids, especially when you decide to work from home or become a full-time mum. I never thought I would be the kind of mom who would converse about playdates, mom-and-baby activities, and preschool and get EXCITED about it. But there I was, in a friend's kitchen, holding a beer, and watching gazillions of toddlers and kids run around me like little bees. The Husband stood next to me, holding Harper, and we were all engrossed in parenthood fodder. I was so happy. I was so giddy about being a mom that I came home and joined the local early childhood PTA.

Once we got Harp home and asleep in bed, we watched A Single Man, one of the most visually stunning films I've seen EV-ER. If you know me well, you know I am a tad obsessed with the 1960s, and this director got it SO RIGHT. Granted, I've never been to the 60s, but I know it was right on the money. I could FEEL it. Anyway, the storyline was good too, but I was more embedded within the visuals and lovliness of this film. While the ending was somewhat sad, I went to bed feeling happy and alive. And Colin Firth was fantastic. Simply fantastic. See it.

No comments: