Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Unofficial New Yorker


"One belongs to New York instantly." This sentiment from Thomas Wolfe is exactly how I felt when I visited New York City for the first time. It was strangely familiar, having seen so much of it on TV and in the movies. I was all alone my first day in the city, and I remember walking down Broadway with a bagel in one hand and a coffee in the other. It was freezing, and I was bundled up to my ears. After walking from Times Square to the Met, I spent the afternoon at the museum and then hopped a taxi back. I've heard people compare NYC to London, and having lived in London during college, I don't see the comparison. Sure, they're two large metropolitan cities, but the similarities end there.

I'm happy to report that I will be taking a trip to New York in a matter of weeks with my good friend Renee. I am so excited about so many aspects of the trip-to-be that I almost can't stand it. The shows, the restaurants, the egg sandwiches, the unashamedly over-priced everything. There's so much to see and do in New York, it's impossible to do it all. So I know there are tons of things I've missed. Anyone have any recommendations?

No comments: